EBC CYCLIST CHECKLIST TO RIDE WITH EBC
Please come prepared before you join our rides--it is part of being a smart cyclist!
- HELMETS ARE A MUST ON ALL EBC LEADER-LED RIDES
- Bring 2 water bottles--1 for water and 1 for Gatorade or a similar sports drink or a Camel Back with water and a water bottle with sports drink.
- Make sure you have the basic tools needed to replace flat tires--2 spare tubes for the size of your wheels (650 or 700), 2 CO2 cartridges with corresponding dispenser (check if canisters are threaded or unthreaded) or pump, and tire levers. Check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzVF0YbkRtA
- Make sure your tires are inflated to the correct PSI (usually listed on the tire sidewall. Wet conditions call for lower tire pressure)
- Make sure that your bike is in good working condition, you have visited a mechanic in the last 90 days for a tune up and you check it after and before your rides.
- I-PODS/MP3 PLAYERS OR EAR BUDS NOT ALLOWED ON EBC LEADER-LED RIDES. We appreciate your understanding as we need your full attention (eyes and ears) for everyone’s safety!
- Highly recommended, but not required, are gels, an energy bar, such as a Clif Bar or Power Bar, and electrolyte tablets, such as Endurolytes (made by Hammer Nutrition).
- EAT BREAKFAST BEFORE THE RIDE!!! You burn around 750 calories per hour and only store 1500 calories in your muscles and liver. So after 2 hours, you're out of gas! Not good. Eating before and during the ride extends your riding time, so do it! Focus on carbs - that's what you burn.
SPECIAL MONTHLY RIDES:
The EBC Miami Spice Series:
hosted once a month and is part of our usual Saturday EBC leader-led rides. Our
Miami Spice Series takes us to interesting destinations or special routes
designed to keep our weekly riding schedule fresh and fun.
It may be short (30 miles) or it may be longer (62 miles), it may be a tour style ride and it may be a road peloton ride. The point it is we have it available to "Spice things Up" and we have our hardworking ride-leader volunteers to thank for organizing and giving us these wonderful opportunities to be on our bikes having fun together as a club!
EBC "Beginner Group Ride" @ 7:30 AM year round:
Held once a month (usually the first Sunday of every month), this ride is to prepare cyclists to ride with the 14-16 MPH group on Saturdays. One on one coaching and mentoring as well as safety and skillful tips for riding in groups will be included in this ride. All road cyclists who can ride at least 11 MPH are welcome to join. Please RSVP to Joe Curbelo (firstname.lastname@example.org
) to let us know you will be joining.
SUNDAY LEADER-LESS RIDE!
Every Sunday, rides depart at 7:30 AM SHARP from Ponce de Leon middle school
in Coral Gables (address is 5801 Augusta Street, Coral Gables FL, 33146. Park your cars parallel to US 1 in front of the school).
Most riders head north to Miami Beach and further north, some up to North Miami Beach and even to Hollywood. Some split at Key Biscayne. This is a leaderless ride, so no ride releases, no leaders, just show up and ride. Experienced cyclists welcome with a pace of 17+ MPH.
SPONTANEOUS WEEKDAY RIDES
Looking to ride with someone during the week? Check out EBC Facebook group
for spontaneous bike rides during the week. Many members post a shout out to fellow cyclists to join them for a ride. Right now there are 2 regular groups going out every Tuesday and Thursday mornings, at around 6 AM from Granada Golf course.
These are not official EBC sanctioned rides, but spontaneous friendly bike rides organized by individuals,
(which means no ride releases, just show up and ride). Please check with the person who posted the invitation for further details on time, where to meet, direction or route and speed.